Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Golden Bear Open 2013

This past weekend was the GBO, the universities annual top tier track and field event. The 3000m was scheduled for Friday night, and if the seed times were any indication, it was going to be a fast race. My 8:55 performance at the Alberta Open 3 weeks ago ranked me 11th out of 12 athletes, granting me access to some prime real estate on the outside of the track. From the gun, I settled into 8th position, knowing that 3000m is a long way to go and the pace will sort things out. Trying to maintain a consistent pace and avoiding any sudden surges, I moved up the pack and found myself in 3rd by the mile. My distance coach, Sean Baynton, was on the back straight and his voice was the only noise I listen to the whole race. "Jamaaaaa! stayyyy patient!""Patience Jama!" At 2km there was a surge from the front that ripped the pack apart, dividing the race into two. The race was now between myself and two others, Curtis Merry of U of C, and Matt Johnson of U of R. The pace continued and with 500 to go I couldn't match their next surge, and I began fading off the back. Curtis and Matt ran a fantastic race with Curtis edging Matt at the line by half a second, and I came through 6 seconds later in a time of 8:42, a new personal best!


Saturday was the 1500m. I was a little tired from Fridays efforts, and my game plan going in was to do what I needed to win my heat, nothing more nothing less. A friend of mine, Bruce Penner, a great guy and huge supporter of track in Edmonton. His son, Isaac, upgraded from the junior ranks to compete in the open division. He is still in high school and to compete with Uni athletes is no easy task but I respect him for doing it. The pace in the opening km wasn't recording breaking to say the least and I felt comfortable in the pack in 4th position. Things picked up with 400 to go, and the selection was myself, Isaac, and Paul Mangiel. At 200m, Isaac went to the front and tried to pull away, I just latched onto his heels and with 50m to go I sprinted by for the win. 

The GBO as a whole was a great success, obviously with a PB in the 3000 things are looking up. The teams off the University of Manitoba next week and with their banked track and lower altitude, hopefully there'll be some more fast racing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment