Thursday, January 15, 2015

2014 WTS Edmonton Grand Final

Since I decided not to compete this season, I was asked to be the volunteer captain for the elite athletes village at WTS Edmonton Grand Final. My role was to manage a group of volunteers to help facilitate the elite athletes needs before and after competition. From getting water, food, watching equipment to nightlife advise, we did it all;) It was an amazing experience as I had a front row seat to see how our sports best prepare for competition. Consider it a backstage pass to the Oscars of the Triathlon world. Now to host an event of this calibre,  the event organizers need tremendous corporate support. The Alberta corporate community is known for their community involvement and they certainly didn't shy away from the challenge. To celebrate their contributions to the event, a Corporate Relay Triathlon was held the morning before the Elite Men's race. I wasn't planning on taking part but I was approached last minute to be apart of the City of Edmonton Team. The Mayor's team needed a swimmer and it was my civic duty to fulfill the role;) I did a quick recon swim the night before and the following morning I found myself advising my teammates Mayor Don Iverson and Councillor Ben Henderson. I tackled the swim leg, Don rode his heart out on the bike portion aboard his "Mayorinoni" from redbike, and Ben swiftly made his way through the 5km run. 







Make sure you get to 2:15 - Team City Council

No comments:

Post a Comment